Saturday, October 22, 2005

Write your poets!

Your favorite poets like letters just as much as anyone else. Write them!

Who doesn't want fan mail?

Who doesn't want to hear from the people they admire?

Just find that poet's publisher and send a letter care of the publisher.

Now that I'm done with my declarative and rhetorical statements, I will admit that *I* really need to get on the ball and finish my letters to favorite poets. I dropped one in the mail for Wyslawa Szymborska last week. I hand wrote one for David Lehman a few days ago.

And it all started with my great fellow poet friend, Yael, who decided she wanted to write to Naomi Shihab Nye, who has been warm with her response.

Beautiful world, eh!??

..... In other news, we had a snowstorm here on the Front Range of Colorado last week. It broke a lot of branches, and even killed a person or two. I hadn't been able to access the damage in Parker, Colo. where I had lived the last seven years.

This morning I saw that my FAVORITE tree, just outside my computer room window, is much altered. Almost a quarter of the branches that stretched sunwards and teased my window with their leaves are now leaning away from the house.

And the birds have left.

Not a pleasant state of affairs.

At least only one of the branches has shown any breakage.

Poor birdie paradise that was!

Now back to myself with further poetry news:

I am entering a competition in Richmond, Virginia called "Write Small". They're going to exhibit miniature art, no taller than three inches. And they are going to publish booklets of poetry with pieces no bigger than 2 and a half inches wide.

The poems much be six lines, 9 pt font, and no more than 33 characters a line (COUNTING spaces). You may submit up to six poems, and have them all on the same page-- no cover page is required.

The deadline is Oct. 29. Mail to: Write Small PSV/art6
P.O. Box 35160
Richmond, VA 23235

Author retains all copyright. There is a $1 entry fee.

I know... I write this a week before deadline... but you never know who else might have the chance...

And maybe someone will decide that writing six line poems is a fine challenge. I've enjoyed it!

1 Comments:

At 10/23/2005 11:09 AM, Blogger Tabitha Dial said...

YES!!! I just printed my letter to Naomi Shihab Nye, and I have my letter to David Lehman ready to mail... Ah... feels great!!!

Do you have favorite poets?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home